Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dentists, Drills and a New Name

This week has been an eventful one! For starters, I finally made a long overdue dentist appointment. It's one thing to tackle the dreaded "to do" list in your home country, it's another to sit in a chair surrounded with unrecognizable objects and try to figure out what's going on in a different language. Let's just say, it's amusing. I think my favorite part was the mysterious drill that was smoking while inside my mouth. That can't be good. But it was! My teeth are sparkling now!

Today, my day started with dodging the usual drivers who don't check their mirrors or look over their shoulders while changing lanes. In arriving at the Embassy, I discovered parking is a dog-eat-dog approach, so I settled for a small private parking lot. The attendant said "30 per hour". "What? That's too expensive!! What about 20?", I offered, thinking I'd only be an hour. Since I had an 8:45am appointment, I would only be running inside and out to change my name on my passport. I printed out my form the night before and so I had a few extra minutes to run in and pose for a passport photo at the nearby photo studio. Surprisingly, they were very efficient, including the extra time the photographer took to ask me to tilt my head slightly. Yes, it took me back to the days of taking yearbook photos.

Of course, I left the sheet that confirmed my 8:45am appointment at home. Nevertheless, they allowed me in. I waited until 9:15 before they called my name. In approaching the window, I explained that I had made a mistake on the form and needed to print another one out. He responded saying that as of April, they removed computers and printers from the waiting area so I would need to find an internet cafe to print out a new form.

Heading back to photo studio, I found a pharmacy next door that allowed me to print out the form. Back in the Embassy, I had my corrected form but now had to take a number and wait at the end of the line. Imagine the DMV waiting room. Yes, end of the line. After the employee took all of my documents, I asked if the form would be acceptable since the Embassy logo was cut off from the printer at the pharmacy. After asking his supervisor, he returned shaking his head, saying I would have to return tomorrow.

It's 10:50 now. I wasn't about to give up after all the obstacles now. I made another dash for the pharmacy, explaining the situation, though not well. Because I ended up playing charades instead. Pretty funny, because when I thought of it, they know what they are doing. They see several "gringos" for this kind of thing. Fortunately, they didn't charge me this time.

Again, I walked back to the Embassy. Unfortunately, this was the fifth time I had to run the gauntlet of inappropriate taxi drivers. "Hey, how'd you get like that? Will you meet me this weekend? Que linda!" Ahhh! These are the times that it is easier to just make them think I only understand English.

Finally, at 11:00, I waved to the employee, letting him know I was back. Fortunately, he didn't make me get a number but at this point, most people had come and gone. Apparently, the office closes at 11:30 which explained why everyone had cleared out.

I waited until 11:30 for him to help me again. After a few minutes, he confirmed the paperwork, asked me to pay the fee at the next window and wait for him to call my name. I went to the window to pay, only to discover almost a 45% "service charge" that no one could explain to me.

When I went to sit down, I found that he had closed his window and left. What? So I asked the finance window where he went and they said he'd call my name. Still no one called my name. At 12, I finally went to ask another window what it was I was even waiting for and he said I needed to do an interview. I asked the woman in the interview room if she could help and I would need to wait a few minutes. At 12:10 I did my interview, she was really helpful in explaining what I needed to know in receiving a new passport and in 5 minutes I was out.

I went to my car, almost 4 hours later, but he let me leave paying 60 total. Though he did ask if I'd be coming back tomorrow to pay more.

Let's just say, the lesson learned is...always print TWO copies!

1 Comments:

At May 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Blogger Elisa said...

WOW! I'm so glad you posted this, Cindy! We've got our apt with the embassy next Wednesday and I've heard that their hound dogs about every jot and tittle. SO, needless to say, I'm going to take your advice and bring 2 copies of everything. We're working on getting our new little guy his American passport and citizenship. Woohoo!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home