Sunday, November 28, 2010

Thanksgiving and the Chicken Bus

Thanksgiving in Antigua...first Central American Thanksgiving as well as first married one! Chris came here to celebrate with friends and friends of friends. It was a huge gathering and combo of various countries. Though we did not lack in American food--from stuffing to turkey and ham to loads of sweet or mashed potatoes. We had our fill of pie and delicious homemade ice cream and more! The feast was never-ending. They even capped off the full day with s'mores by the fire. We returned home tired and full. Always a good combo! Not to mention, we were able to call family from the house so it was great to hear familiar voices. We miss you all!

The rest of the weekend was amazing. We went to Hector's where I had a delicious fish prepared with lemongrass, ginger, butter, mushrooms and tomatoes. Mmmmm! Chris had a yummy beef stew. You can't go wrong at Hector's. After dinner, we strolled over to Ron's place, that he opened a year ago. I was amused to walk into a restaurant of 3 cigar-smoking men. But they made me feel welcome at the cozy cafe.

Then yesterday, Chris surprised me with a trip to Guatemala City. Delicious sushi and tempura ice cream and a good night's rest. What more could you ask for? I'm just glad my husband is persistent when others say "I'm sorry, sir, you need to book two weeks in advance."

Chris rose EARLY this AM to catch his flight back home and I checked out later in the morning and asked about shuttles back in to town. "No hay. Solo taxis por $80." Ok, what about the bus? "No, no le recomiendo. Es peligroso." But nevertheless, I opted for a taxi to the bus and a bus into town. And the bus only cost me $1. :)

So for the next hour and a half, I sat on the bus of Spanish rap music, halting stops every five minutes, 3 people to a school bus seat with others standing, and a guy yelling "Antigua! Antigua! Antigua!" at every stop. I have to say I have a lot of respect for those working here and having the confidence to step onto every bus and sell candy at every stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home