Monday, April 26, 2010

I WAS TICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yesterday we went for a hike through the rainforest. It was gorgeous and a great getaway from the city. Yet as we stopped to take a rest, we noticed there were ticks out. Throughout the hike, we all continued to check our feet, ankles and legs for ticks. We were able to flick off the ones we saw and managed to finish our hike unscathed.

However, when I got home last night and did one last check, my husband found a tick embedded in the back of my leg. The funny thing though about bugs is once you spot one, you start to think they are somehow multiplying all over your body. The imagination can do play some funny games! In order to remove the tick, my husband burned the area was the tick had bit me--yes, I said burn, as in full-on "light a match and burn my leg" to try to get the tick to naturally withdraw itself. After 3 times of unsuccessfully removing the tick"naturally" and burning his own shorts, my husband opted for using tweezers. How can one little tick be SO strong and do so much damage to two adults?!?

After being called "a big baby" (let's see how many times you can be lit with a match and not move!), I started to wonder why are we so resistant to God removing, even the little things, from our lives. Do we not trust that He sees the greater picture? Trust that He knows what damage can be done from those little things that embed and dig deep roots in our lives? I would hope from this small tangible reminder in my life that I would be open to letting God remove the "ticks" that I can't see.

3 Comments:

At April 27, 2010 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Jo said...

You poor thing! YUCK! We have tons of ticks around here, too. Why did God make them? Definitely something to ask one day. :)

We've found that putting neosporin on them suffocates them and draws their head out. Then we just use tweezers to pull them off. Hopefully you won't need this advice, but just in case...

 
At May 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dang tick! But it provided you with a nice analogy to make us think, and an amusing blog post. Thanks Cindy!

 
At May 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

Luke got a tick a couple weeks ago - in his bellybutton - try getting a 2 year old to be still as you use a tweezers to pluck out a tick! :( After this, I learned that you could use liquid soap to suffocate the tick (similar to the first comment) and it will back out on its own. I will be remembering that next time!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home