Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Childish Epiphany

It's funny that when we're younger, we think we know everything. In contrast, as we grow older, we seem blown away by the simplest epiphanies. As a child, we used to be amazed at the bee buzzing in the flowers or we'd pounce through rain puddles and celebrate candy as a novelty. Now, we don't have time for such distractions for fear that they might steer us off path. In hitting the reset button in my life, I realized that the urgency that once drove me is what blinded me to those distractions. However, it takes some time to regain that sight again and I have to be honest, it's not always easy. Once you become accustom to a certain way, you see through those lenses. Unfortunately, that's clouded a lot of my early months here. I've been frustrated with the little things that aren't similar to my way of doing life--such as cars stopping right in the middle of the road for no reason when we're going 50 miles an hour.

It takes time to see things differently but I needed to take the first step. A few weeks ago, an older gentleman was loading my groceries in bags and proceeded to bring them out to the car. I thanked him and got in my car, as I usually would in the States, but he stood outside my car and waited. Then he knocked on my window and said "Propina". I didn't understand and there were several previous times where I went on my way so this time didn't seem any different. However, I later discovered from some friends that he was asking for a tip because the store doesn't pay him a salary. So today when I was at the store, instead of being annoyed at the differences that I don't understand, I returned to the same man and gave him his propina and apologized. His smile warmed his hardened face and my day was transformed. The childish amazement of the everyday details washed over me. In walking out of the store, I felt a change from the day before--a contrast of when the little things either way you down in frustration or they make you smile.

The things that made me smile today:
  • Cooking a new recipe with a friend
  • Continuing to learn a new language
  • Going to the theater with a friend
  • Hosting and getting to know new people
  • My dog
  • Reading
  • Finding my way through the city
Today I changed my mind. Today I changed my perspective. Today I'm going to choose to celebrate the little things...including driving.

1 Comments:

At April 30, 2010 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Dana said...

Oh CIndy I love hearing your process...and eerily feel like I am reading my last few months, well minus the having to learn a new language :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home