Friday, May 27, 2011

Turn the Lights on, Please!

I quickly realized, in my first year, that losing electricity is a common occurrence. So yesterday, when I awoke to find the electricity off, I figured it was just another day here. This time I noticed it was different though, because I didn't hear our neighbor's generator but I went about my day.

Within two hours, my computer and phone batteries died and I was left with a very quiet day. No one could reach me and no technology to distract me. It was the first time I read a book in a day and started a second! The best part is that I kept praying, "Please turn the lights back on." I figured my "lesson" might be in patience or learning to be quiet. But it was too quiet for me or maybe I was just bored so every hour, I kept checking, "Maybe now."

As evening rolled in, I began to light candles and find the flashlights to be prepared for complete darkness in a few hours. I stepped outside to feed the dogs and noticed that the street light and the surrounding houses' lights were on. Hmmmm...that's odd.

When C came home, I mentioned the contrast of our house vs the others and he asked, "Did you pay the electricity?" Awkward silence....ummmm. We returned to our pitch black house and C worked by candlelight. In the morning, I woke up to the whirring of our car, he was using as a generator for his computer. I had to laugh at our primitive adventure and my prayers yesterday, "God, turn the lights on. What are you teaching me?" Only to hear, the main lesson...

PAY YOUR BILLS on time.

1 Comments:

At September 19, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Betsy Hake said...

OMG, Cindy, I can totally relate to this! I don't know what it is about ritual (pay the bills every month) that I can't get a hold of! I don't even want to admit how many times I have had to have someone come to reconnect those cables. I think it was God's sense of humor that He put me in the Episcopal Church for 17 years. Anyway, I love your blog....and you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home